Coalition Building Publications
- Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms: 20 Years After Vienna (2013)
On October 3, 2013, the Center for Women’s Global Leadership (CWGL) hosted a daylong symposium to mark the 20th anniversary of the UN Vienna World Conference on Human Rights: Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms: 20 Years After Vienna. The symposium brought together human rights activists, academics, and experts to discuss the significance and achievements of the Vienna conference, present-day challenges facing human rights, and pathways forward.
- Framing Questions on Intersectionality (2013)
By Baruch, M. & Tomlinson, Y. This document provides an introduction to the principle and framework of "intersectionality."
- Addressing Gaps in the Defense of Women Human Rights Defenders: A Report on the Strategic Conversation (2011)
By DasGupta, A. & Rotramel, A. Edited by Bunch, C. & Real, M. This report discusses the lack of awareness and support that is given to women’s issues at an international level and hopes to shed light on the challenges women human rights defenders face regularly.
- Body, Economy, Movement: The Global Women's Movement at the Beijing+15 Review (2010)
By Margi, N. & Real, M. On the occasion of the Beijing HS Review, hundreds of women’s activists gathered at a Public Symposium hosted by CWGL to highlight the obstacles and accomplishments in women’s empowerment and gender equality from a civil society perspective.
- Listening to Each Other: A Multigenerational Feminist Dialogue, CREA, Center for Women's Global Leadership and the Youth Coalition (2008), available on CREA's website
Hosted by the Center of Women’s Global Leadership, the Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights, and CREA, this meeting report chronicles discussions on feminist leadership by addressing multigenerational issues affecting women activists, feminists, movements, and organizations.
Women Testify: A Planning Guide for Popular Tribunals & Hearings
By Reilly, N. & Posluszny, L. This guide draws on the Center for Women’s Global Leadership’s experiences of organizing women’s human rights tribunals and hearings.
- Women at the Intersection of Racism and Other Oppressions: A Human Rights Hearing (2001)
Edited by Raj, R. in collaboration with Bunch, C. & Nazombe, e. Organized by the Center for Women’s Global Leadership at the UN World Conference Against Racism, Durban, South Africa
- Holding on to the Promise: Women's Human Rights and the Beijing +5 Review (2001)
Edited by Meillón, C. & Bunch, C. This publication takes a critical look at the Beijing +5 Review from the perspective of women's human rights, while providing an analytical viewpoint on the UN negotiations.
- Feminism in the Muslim World Leadership Institutes: 1998 & 1999 Reports, Center for Women's Global Leadership and Women Living Under Muslim Laws (2000), available on WLUML's website
By Hélie, A. Women from Muslim countries gathered to provide personal experience for women activists to examine the broad range of efforts that individuals and organizations are involved in throughout the Muslim world and beyond.
- Los derechos de las mujeres son derechos humanos: Crónica de una movilización mundial (Spanish) (2000)
Edited by Bunch, C., Hinojosa, C. & Reilly, N. The purpose of this Spanish publication is to create easy access to those who are in Spanish speaking countries providing information about the Center for Women’s Global Leadership. This book includes a selection of testimonies and judges’ statements from the global campaign hearings.
- Les voix des femmes et «les droits de l´homme» (French) (2000)
Edited by Bunch, C., Hinojosa, C. & Reilly, N. The objective of this publication is to create easy access to those who are in the French speaking countries illuminating the purpose behind Global Campaign for Women’s Human Rights. This selection of work includes an article on the politics of language and chapters on the concept and history of the campaign.
- Lesbians Travel the Roads of Feminism Globally/La travesía de las mujeres lesbianas por el feminismo internacional (English/Spanish) (2000)
By Bunch, C. & Hinojosa, C. This bilingual booklet explores how the visions and the experiences of lesbian women have been woven into the broader agenda of the women's movement in the international arena, working to reconstruct the journey of lesbian organizing from different regions of the world.
- Local Action/Global Change: Learning About the Human Rights of Women and Girls (1999)
By Mertus, J. with Dutt, M. & Flowers, N. This comprehensive training manual includes the whole spectrum of women's human rights in an "interactive" format by combining the development of rights awareness with issue-oriented activities that include discussions, role-play, story-telling and creative expression in art and music.
- Without Reservation: The Beijing Tribunal on Accountability for Women's Human Rights (1996)
Edited by Reilly, N. Featuring the twenty-two testimonies and presentations given at the Beijing Tribunal on Accountability for Women’s Human Rights in 1995, this work investigates a variety of women’s human rights violations.
- The Indivisibility of Women's Human Rights: A Continuing Dialogue (1995)
Edited by Fried, S. This book presents the voices and perspectives of women around the world that came together to discuss women's leadership in areas of women's human rights at the 1994 Women's Global Leadership Institute, hosted by CWGL.
- From Vienna to Beijing: The Copenhagen Hearing on Economic Justice and Women's Human Rights (1995)
Compiled by Dutt, M., Fried, S. & Holcomb, D. This book compiles the full testimonies and commentaries by women from the South and North about the impact of U.S. policies on their lives.
- From Vienna to Beijing: The Cairo Hearing on Reproductive Health and Human Rights (1994)
Compiled by Dutt, M. This book is a compilation of six testimonies from around the world addressing reproductive health and human rights violations.
- With Liberty and Justice for All: Women's Human Rights in the United States (1994)
By Dutt, M. This pamphlet develops a conceptual framework for using human rights as a legal and popular education tool as well as for political mobilizing among women activists working in the United States.
- Demanding Accountability: The Global Campaign and Vienna Tribunal for Women's Human Rights (1994)
By Bunch, C. & Reilly, N. This book presents a comprehensive history and analysis of the systematic organizing efforts of women prior to, during, and after the UN World Conference on Human Rights.
- Testimonies of the Global Tribunal on Violations of Women's Human Rights (1994)
Compiled by Reilly, N. This publication contains the full transcripts of thirty-three testimonies by women from twenty-five countries at the “Global Tribunal on Violations of Women’s Human Rights” at the UN World Conference on Human Rights.
- International Campaign for Women's Human Rights: 1992-1993 Report (1993)
This publication documents CWGL’s second Women's Global Leadership Institute in 1992 and contains interviews with five of the participants.
- Women, Violence and Human Rights: 1991 Women's Global Leadership Institute Report (also available in Spanish) (1992)
This report documents the Center’s first international meeting on Women, Violence and Human Rights.
- pdf Gendering Documentation: A Manual For and About Women Human Rights Defenders , published by the Women Human Rights Defenders International Coalition.
- International Civil Society Action Network
- Extremism as Mainstream: Implications for Women, Development and Security in the MENA/ Asia Region
- From Subjects to Citizens: Women in Post-Revolutionary Libya
- Elusive Peace, Pervasive Violence: Sri Lankan Women's Struggle for Security and Justice
- Killing them Softly: the Stark Impact of Sanctions on the Lives of Ordinary Iranians
- The End of the Beginning: Tunisia’s Revolution and Fighting for the Future
- The Arab Spring & Implications for Women
- Claiming Rights, Claiming Justice: A Guidebook on Women Human Rights Defenders, published by Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development in collaboration with a group of women rights, human rights and sexual health advocates.
- ‘Yogyakarta Principles’ a Milestone for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Rights: Experts Set Out Global Standards for Sexual Rights and Gender Equality ( pdf Arabic , pdf English , pdf Español , pdf Français , pdf Polski , pdf русски )