Commission on the Status of Women
46th Session • 4 - 15 March 2002
- A Women's Human Rights Intersectional Approach to Poverty Eradication
- Global Center activities at the Commission on the Status of Women
- Draft Agreed Conclusions (as of March 15, 2002)
- Division for the Advancement of Women: Commission on the Status of Women website
- Presentation by Ms. Carolyn Hannan, Director, Division for the Advancement of Women, at the Roundtable Panel and Discussion on Disproportionate impact of natural disasters on women
- Empowerment of Women through the life cycle as a transformative strategy for poverty eradication - Expert Group Meeting 26 - 29 November 2001
- Environmental management and the mitigation of natural disasters: a gender perspective - Expert Group Meeting 6 - 9 November 2001
We hope this finds you well. We are writing to share what we have learned about the upcoming Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) Session, which will be held from March 4-15, 2002 at the UN Headquarters in New York.
The DAW has said that in light of recent events, there will be extra security at the United Nations during the CSW (as there has been since September 11). At present, no decision has been made about limiting the number of NGOs who can participate at the CSW but the DAW has said that NGOs must adhere to the deadlines and no exceptions will be made.
The upcoming CSW will consider the following two thematic issues:
Eradicating poverty, including through the empowerment of women throughout their life cycle in a globalizing world; and
Environmental management and mitigation of natural disasters: a gender perspective.
As in the past, the DAW has organized expert group meetings addressing the thematic issues. The final report from the Expert Group Meeting that was held in Ankara, Turkey from 6 - 9 November 2001 on "Environmental management and the mitigation of natural disasters: a gender perspective" is available at the DAW website at http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/csw/env_manage/index.html. The report from the Expert Group Meeting on "Eradicating poverty, including through the empowerment of women throughout their life cycle in a globalizing world" is not yet available. We will send that on to you as soon as it becomes available.
The NGO Committee on the Status of Women in New York has prepared an activities list regarding some of the NGO and official UN plans for the upcoming CSW (http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/csw/csw46/pre_org.html). For those who have participated in previous CSW sessions, you will see a change in the sequence of activities. The first week will be comprised mainly of panels, a discussion of the Secretary General's report, discussions around the Communications Mechanism, and International Women's Day celebrations. During the second week, informal consultations developing agreed conclusions or resolutions concerning the thematic issues and possibly other topics will be held. The NGO Committee on the Status of Women in New York Informational Note has more information about NGO participation during the official UN activities and NGO sponsored side events.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Center for Women's Global Leadership